5.16.2009

You're June to August

I was scrolling through some memories when I woke up this morning and I realized something. In the early morning light I recalled past relationships and last week's events. This is just something I can't explain. In my opinion, the best part about the first kiss in any new relationship is the pieces you can't remember.
I have no idea what my hands were doing or where his hands were. I can't tell you what time it was and I only know what day because of what I was wearing. All of what I remember is focused on whispered words and lips. I think that's what makes it extraordinary in retrospective terms. Sets it apart from other full bodied memories.
What's remarkable is that the missing details don't matter. Their absence doesn't make the feelings less real or the recollection any less important.
Just a little Saturday morning musing.

2 comments:

  1. I love the detail in this. It takes the reader back to his or her our own first kiss in a new relationship -- that intoxicating moment of passion that makes time freeze and objects melt away; the irony of such a physical experience causing such an out-of-body feeling. You're a talented writer, Maddy. I look forward to subsequent posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O god Maddy, I'm old. My first kiss scenarios have thinned down to annual events and i expect them to become even less frequent. In fact, if i'm honest, i have no expectation at the moment that they are anything other than things of the past, not the future. And perhaps even weirder, that prospect bothers me less and less as the months go by. That nearly said as the moths go by but i still have my wits about me. I get a real vicarious pleasure from reading about yours, though, which i hope isn't *too* creepy - especially as now i know u r a gurl.

    P in the 'hole

    ReplyDelete